View Single Post
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
This viewpoint epitomizes the type of logic that reinforces a deeply and fundamentally problematic complacency in the Mac community. Yes, we should be concerned (not afraid) about increasing malware and use it as a sign of what is inevitable: the development and successful propagation of a self-replicating virus. It doesn't matter if Macs have been relatively immune for a decade - the time will come when a virus is written. If history has taught us anything, every single object in human history has faults that can be exploited. Remember the Titanic?
That virus that is "inevitable" will be *the first*. And at that point there will *only be one*. And Apple will push out a new definition to defeat it using Xprotect probably the very next day.

So I'm not terribly "concerned." Though I'm not complacent either. I follow all of the major malware reporting sites so that I can keep the folks that depend on me for support up to date.

Over a million viruses, and 95,000 new ones everyday, on Windows would have me way more than concerned, though. Enough to switch to a Mac. 8-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Suggesting that we disregard the early warning signs for something that is inevitable is doing a disservice to new users who, thankfully, have a security conscious mindset. Please do all of us a favour and refrain from dissuading individuals from maintaining these security mindsets. With that in mind, how about we take a step back and recognize that spreading complacency actually does new users a greater disservice than arguing against any ostensibly problematic mindset that they might have about security.
I haven't suggested complacency to anyone. In fact, I preach just the opposite. Knowledge is what will keep a Mac user safe. In this very thread I've suggested how folks can protect themselves. Did you miss that?

What I'm very much against is folks going around needlessly scaring ordinary Mac users into thinking that they need to run out and purchase anti-virus software. For the average Mac user doing so is a waste of money, and it is likely to negatively impact their Mac's performance and stability.

If and when the day comes when there are a number of common threats in the wild that are otherwise difficult to avoid, and which Apple has no answer for, at that point folks should definitely consider purchasing anti-virus software. The thing is, Windows-bigots and the sensationalistic press have been predicting that there will be a flood of viruses for the Mac "real soon now" for the an entire decade. We're still waiting for even one.

I know that users who are switchers from Windows, or who use both the Mac and Windows, find it almost impossible to believe that a personal computer can be as secure as the Mac is. I'm sure that I would be the same if I was or had been a Windows user. I'd be shell-shocked. But security is why lots of people use Macs. You may want to just relax and enjoy that security (without being "complacent") until you hear that you need to do otherwise.

Major overhaul makes OS X Lion king of security
Major overhaul makes OS X Lion king of security ? The Register

Experts: OS X now much more secure than rivals
Experts: OS X now much more secure than rivals | MacNN

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks