View Single Post
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
And you're telling me that there is a significant amount of Mac malware and we have to be afraid that it is increasing?

Sorry, that sounds like pure FUD to me. It sounds like the same garbage that we have been hearing from Windows bigots and the sensationalistic press for a decade.
This viewpoint epitomizes the type of logic that reinforces a deeply and fundamentally problematic complacency in the Mac community. Yes, we should be concerned (not afraid) about increasing malware and use it as a sign of what is inevitable: the development and successful propagation of a self-replicating virus. It doesn't matter if Macs have been relatively immune for a decade - the time will come when a virus is written. If history has taught us anything, every single object in human history has faults that can be exploited. Remember the Titanic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
I think that spreading that type of FUD is a disservice to all of the ordinary Mac users on this discussion list who don't know better.
Suggesting that we disregard the early warning signs for something that is inevitable is doing a disservice to new users who, thankfully, have a security conscious mindset. Please do all of us a favour and refrain from dissuading individuals from maintaining these security mindsets. With that in mind, how about we take a step back and recognize that spreading complacency actually does new users a greater disservice than arguing against any ostensibly problematic mindset that they might have about security.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post

Last edited by vansmith; 04-02-2012 at 01:46 AM.
QUOTE Thanks