View Single Post
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
Anyway, the hidden malware protection within the OS doesn't mean impervious to malware,
I don't believe anyone said that the Mac is "impervious" or "invulnerable" to malware. That's the reason that I thought that you were a troll. You are putting words into people's mouths. Quite clearly it isn't, as there has been, and currently exists, malware for the Macintosh.

The thing is, what does exist is quite limited. No actual "viruses," and only a handful of Trojan Horses that can be easily avoided without the need for anti-virus software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
... her Mac will be loaded with anti-virus/anti-malware above and beyond that which Apple installs masked within the OS.
Here is an excellent up to date Web site on the topic of Macintosh malware that you might find illuminating:
Thomas' Corner : Mac Malware Guide

A slightly dated, but still relevant article:
Mac OS X anti-virus software: More trouble than it's worth? | MacFixIt
Mac OS X anti-virus software: More trouble than it's worth? | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

Most AV software will slow down your Mac and it may cause software conflicts. Before you decide to install AV software on your Mac, you should ask the question: What are you trying to protect yourself from? Is anyone being infected with Mac malware? Is there a big threat out there right now?

I can tell you that there isn't. See:
Thomas' Corner : Mac Malware Guide

The biggest threat is Flashback, and you can easily protect yourself from that by updating to the latest version of Java, and for good measure turning Java (*not* JavaScript, which despite the name is something entirely different) off in your browser.

There is a very new Trojan that infects Microsoft Office, but Microsoft released a security update that will protect you from it *three years ago*.
Microsoft Office for Mac Downloads and Updates | Office For Mac
Near as I can tell, this Trojan hasn't been see outside of the Far East.
Reed Corner Design : Tech News Blog Archive Microsoft Office vulnerability used to spread malware

If you feel that you must install AV software, let me recommend this one, which isn't fully interactive (which means that it doesn't use kernel extensions and so isn't likely to cause slowdowns and software conflicts) and is free:

ClamXav (free)
ClamXav

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks