View Single Post
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgam View Post
Not set in stone, and with the current (meaning 2010) 8-core Mac Pro going for $3200 via amazon currently, it's an option. And I would guess that when/if the Mac Pro is updated with Intel's recently released processors, that ~$3000 would buy more power from the newer edition.
With most other computers from Apple...this strategy would make sense. But when it comes to Mac Pro's...there is a different "rule book". Mac Pro's generally don't go down in price as quickly as other models.

So when (and if) new Mac Pro models are released...they're going to be expensive (especially models with more than 4 cores)...and the older models will not be discounted a whole lot.

Example...Apple (in their refurbished section) is still selling Mac Pro's from 2009 (with Mac Pro's from 2010 being the latest model). The 2009 Mac Pro's (with only a quad-core) are still selling for $2749:

Refurbished Mac Pro 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - Apple Store (U.S.)

There are less expensive 2009 Mac Pro quad-core options in the refurbished section as well. But if any of these units were 8-core models...they would be a good bit more expensive.

So I wouldn't "hang my hat" on the idea that when new Mac Pro's are released (if they are released)...that the 8-core models will still be within the $3000 budget.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks