View Single Post
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticspaceman View Post
Hi there! I have been laboring over the decision to buy a new laptop for my freelance graphic/web business. I have a circa-2006 VAIO that has been a good one, but it maxes out at 2GB RAM and pre-dates my need for PhotoShop, and so, just can't keep up anymore.

I am either going to buy a new VAIO (W7, i5, 8GB, 500GB, Radeon 1GB GPU, 15.5" 1920x1080 LED) for $600, and step up to the MacBook Pro.

I have been to the Apple store twice, and asked everyone I know who owns a MBP... and though everyone says "Oh, Macs are better for PhotoShop and graphics," no one can actually tell me WHY they are better.

Just wondering, if I genuinely don't care about having a Mac because it's a Mac... WHY is it worth the extra $1,300? I honestly just want the best and most practical solution for my work, and I am willing to pay the price if it's really better.

Main apps used:
PhotoShop CS5
Dreamweaver CS5
Acrobat
PowerPoint (advanced user... exporting to flash for web)

Thanks or any advice/help.
1) The $1300 differential is overstated . . . do a thread search here and you will see this has been discussed to death.
2) Actual cost difference for similar build quality and specs is around $200.
3) You can run all of your existing software on a new Mac (just purchase and install Windows and you're good to go)
4) The real big advantage though of a Mac is OS X (stability, far less Malware etc)

But, there is a learning curve and if a Windows laptop will meet your needs (especially since you are doing this for a living) by all means get one.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks