View Single Post
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

This was your original idea:
Quote:
I was planning to install iTunes on my wife's Win7 PC and then use that NAS library and Home Sharing to connect an Apple TV.
Quote:
I had planned to use the same NAS library as the PC using home sharing as well
It's these goals from your original post I've been trying to help you with but you've gone off at a tangent now wanting to have two iTunes instances connecting to the NAS drive.

Quote:
Back to my issue. I'm about to pull my hair out. I almost had it working (media on NAS, rabble from MBP, added folder to the PC) until I went back to my mac and it couldn't find anything...seems when I added the folder (from there NAS) to my PC library, the library files on the NAS disappeared and the Mac could no longer find them. I deleted everything and tried to start over by recopying the iTunes folder from my mac to the NAS. 2 hours later I tried to connect to that library and it says I am but when I select a song and "show in finder" it points me back to the original folder on my Mac.
When you say rabble I'm guessing you mean the index/settings files. In which case, as per my previous post you didn't need to add the folder to the library. I should have been one or the other so I have no idea where you're at now.

But it's still fixable. Ignore the Mac for now. Let's get the PC iTunes library with media on the NAS sorted first.

Can you see the media files in iTunes on the PC?
If yes, where are they located? On the NAS? If so we're in business.
If not then use these instructions to re-locate the library to the NAS - iTunes for Windows: Moving your iTunes Media folder

Once the iTunes library is working OK on the PC you can move onto the Mac.

Locate the media and index/settings on your Mac - you need to delete these files (make any backups as you deem necessary). So that your iTunes library on your Mac is empty.

Now go to the PC and enable Home Sharing - more info here (iTunes: Setting up Home Sharing on your computer)

You can now connect your Mac to the 'master' iTunes library via Home Sharing. You can now selectively copy whatever content you want from the 'master' library to your Mac for travelling/iPhone sync purposes.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks