View Single Post
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd View Post
OK, I'm confused. I installed iTunes on my wife's PC and pointed the music directory to the NAS folder. Nothing.

Here's what I've done.
1) Copied the iTunes directory from my MBP to the NAS
2) Reopened it in my MBP to verify it can be accessed.
3) Installed iTunes on my Win7 PC
4) Went to Edit-Preferences-Advanced-change media location and pointed to the same folder.

Ideas?
First thing to know is that there are two parts to a library - The media content and the index/settings files

What you've done is copied the media but not the library index/settings files. If you're not bothered about your ratings/playlists etc then make sure that in Edit-Preferences-Advanced you tick 'Keep iTunes Media folder organised' and 'copy files to itunes media folder when adding to library'

Now go to File - add folder to library and point it at the Media folder. It'll index the files and create a new set of library index/settings files.

If you need to keep all the library settings you've created you need to copy the library index/settings files from your Mac to your PC. Here's a link to the location of those files on both Mac and PC.
iTunes: What are the iTunes library files?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks