View Single Post
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Your main problem is trying to have a work computer and a server at the same time.

If you migrate over the user it can act as a standard mac, but I have never tried having 2 users logged in at the same time.

Setting it up as a file server is fairly easy, but make sure you deselect its other functions if you have no intention of using it as a mail server or ical server

The external disk is not a problem, in fact the external firewire drive would be ideal as the main share. But you will also have to have a back-up drive as well, or 2 external drives set-up at one combined RAID 1 drive.

AS for VPN, that really depends on your DSL speed. A relatively slow upload speed will seriously hamper external computers accessing the server since the upload speed is crucial to VPN. Its fairly easy to set-up, bit you also have to open ports on your router to get it to work

I have set-up a Snow Leopard server, so for any help come back to the forums

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks