View Single Post
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

That is a strange one. The Core Solo Mini is basically like the first 1.66Ghz Core Duo one except with a Single Core Intel CPU which is like one core of a Core Duo. I would guess that otherwise the chipset and Logicboard is the same.

I own the 1.66 Core Duo model. Most I have upgraded to is a 320GB SATA. So I have no idea what a 500GB drive would do, but it should work. You are using the DVD that came with that Core Solo? If so it's some version of 10.4 Tiger I am wondering if that maybe is the issue, but I do know of people running Tiger with early mac Pros with 1TB drives.

ONE thing you might check. Some older Macs had issues with newer SATA 3 drives, but all SATA drives I have seen have a Jumper setting to put it back to SATA 1.5. Can you give me the model of the Hitachi drive so I can check Jumper settings for you? That very well could be your issue!!

Edit, Turns out that is your issue according to a few Mac support sites. Only issue is from all I have been able to find, Hitachi drives do not have the 1.5 Limit jumper but you use a utility to set it at either 1.5 or 3.0. Only issue I see is the utility runs on Windows! You might have to put the drive in a PC and run the utility and set it to 1.5 and put it back into the Mini.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/suppor..._Guide_215.pdf

http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...80215072351407
QUOTE Thanks