View Single Post
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannetrussell View Post
Here's my problem: just bought a LaCie Porsche P9220 external hard drive.
Been carefully following the manual for formatting instructions.
All good up until clicking "Format" (after creating password).
Instead of "volume has been successfully created" msg, I get: "Invalid argument: /Volumes/LA-PUBLIC/LaPrivate/LaPrivate.lc"
I cannot find anything about it in the manual, or on Google so far. The Apple store I bought it from is closed today. Can anyone help?
It sounds as though your LaCie drive has some kind of proprietary encryption software on it - and further, it's not working particularly well (no surprise as LaCie is just a purveyor of fancy looking cases, and is not known for software). My advice would be to skip their setup entirely, open Disk Utility (Applications => Utilities) and use the "Erase" tab to format the drive as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

That should make the drive mount up properly and be available for your storage needs. If you really need the encryption, you'll want to contact LaCie's technical support for assistance as I highly doubt the Apple staff is trained on the eccentricities of third-party products.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks