View Single Post
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Virtual Box is always my first recommendation. It's free and gets more robust all the time. If it works (and usually does for most things) then you are good to go. If not, then there are the paid solutions like Parallels and VMWare.

As far as Linux distros go... all depends upon what you foresee using it for. Ubuntu is an excellent stable choice for general home use. There are tons of variants and much that is tailored specifically for being easy to use and compatible with Ununtu. I recommend openSUSE for anything serious related to business or infrastructure. openSUSE has a nice one click install option for folks who don't want to get too dirty with the OS's underpinnings: software.opensuse.org: Search Results For traditionalists there is Debian as a great choice. If you are a Unix geek like me, I always like to recommend FreeBSD for a good exercise in problem solving.

I currently have a 2011 MBA running Lion with VirtualBox and Windows7 32-Bit + openSUSE 64-Bit + FreeBSD installed as VM's.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks