View Single Post
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

Hello guys,

So I got the new w/less router modem ( Belkin Play N600DB) and after a tussle with my ISP for my correct username and password I am now re-connected.

Things were going swimmingly until the connection with my iMac dropped out as per usual.

I swapped the band from 2.4 to 5Ghz and everything is good (fingers crossed) so the issue must have been my cordless phone base station I guess? I had moved it,but I think it needs to be moved into the trash

One thing is puzzling me though,

iStumbler reports signal strength as 33% (15 points lower than my last router) with signal noise of 9%.

Wi-Fi Analyzer reports -71dB (way off reference ) and a signal to noise ratio of 25dB.

Mac's WiFi icon shows all 4 bars at full.

Does anyone know why what I should be looking at in strength and SNR for a reasonable connection? Are any of these apps reliable?

Thanks for your support.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks