Thread: The SSD Thread
View Single Post
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I like this idea as well - as I've been talking about doing this ever since I got my MBP - and I'm still talking about it. I'd be interested in seeing people include the criteria that lead to their SSD choices and any installation tips. If you replaced the Optical drive - interested in how you partitioned items - i.e. OS on the SSD...certain applications running from the SSD ...certain files stored on the rotary HDD...and how that has impacted performance.

I think one of the things that slowed me down was the realization that I picked up one of the 2011 MBPs that only allowed for a SATA II connection to the Optical bay instead of the SATA III that showed up a month or so later. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be the early adopter. If/when I do finally get around to making this upgrade - I'll definitely replace the optical drive and put that in an external enclosure as I think I'll need the extra storage. I still haven't implemented any kind of NAS solution yet - although that will eventually come as well.
QUOTE Thanks