View Single Post
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndew1054 View Post
1. Do I even need to protect? Is my Mid 2010 Macbook's power cord designed to give sufficient protection? It's a long-shot question but I thought I'd ask if I was already OK.
It depends... are the places you use it in prone to surges? Have you lost electronics in the past to surges? How's the wiring in your home?

A good quality surge suppressor can certainly help, but they're not fool-proof. El-cheapo suppressors can often be poorly made and are more or less glorified outlet expanders. And of course, if your home is poorly grounded or not wired up to modern standards, no suppressor can help you.

Quote:
2. How can I prevent damage to my computer from power surges? Preferably something easily portable, and not too expensive? (Yes, I am planning to start backing up my hard drive with an external soon.)
The best case scenario would be to hire an electrician to install a whole-house suppressor. Otherwise, if your wiring is up to snuff, get a nice Belkin or APC suppressor and you should be fine.

Quote:
3. If my computer is damaged by a power surge, will it be covered by my 3yr. Apple Care Protection warranty?
No, but your homeowners insurance might. You could also check into third party "warranties" from well-established companies like SquareTrade (they're more like insurance policies than a warranty).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks