View Single Post
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ MacSteak View Post
In addition to having the Mac firewall on, antivirus and Little Snitch running, I'm wondering what else I can do to protect my information from being compromised.

Specifically, I want to protect the passwords that I use to access sites including email, accounts, forums etc. I would like to know which options are best:
1] allow Firefox to remember passwords and use a master password
2] not allow Firefox to remember passwords and type in passwords each time I access sites
3] if it makes any difference, copy/paste passwords from a text file

Also, some sites will ask for a password but the page that is then launched is not encrypted (according to the alert message). Can a password be intercepted in this case?
Why would you think that an anti virus program would have anything to do with protecting passwords? Little Snitch is useless as well, unless you're pirating software and are trying to hide behind it. Get rid of the anti virus crud, it will cause more harm than good. It's fine to allow Firefox to remember passwords. You don't need it to set a master password.

Want a great way to store passwords in case you forget them? Use OSX's built in "keychain" app. You can create secure notes and such. And all you'll need to remember is your administrative password to access each secure note. Your best line of defense is an extremely strong admin password that only you have access to. To make sure no one else ever gets access, make sure you set the Mac to go to sleep and require a password as soon as it is inactive for a minute.

There's also an application called 1passWord which stores and encrypts all of your passwords so you never have to type them in. Everything else you've stated is overkill and useless. Especially the anti virus and little snitch bit....

Doug
QUOTE Thanks