Thread: High CPU Usage
View Single Post
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by farshadavocate View Post
A 1.5 TB. Seegate HD is connected to my Mac, where I save all clips, rendered files, Cach media files, rushs and all other media. about 1 TB is used. Mac HD cap. about 60 GB is used. Is it possible all these problems because of a EX. Drive!!!
It's possible - anything is with kernel issues. The kernel is like the brain of the operating system - many many things depend on it. It controls the hardware and most (if not all) system level software interacts with it. This is why nailing down a kernel issue is hard.

The Encore CPU usage isn't surprising. In fact, I'd be surprised if it was the opposite.

Wait, you said that there was a flashing dot in the Spotlight menubar icon. The flashing dot means that Spotlight is indexing which is very CPU intensive. The Spotlight process though is called mds. It's possible though that if the files on the external change regularly, Spotlight needs to "keep up" by reindexing it. How often does Spotlight reindex?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks