View Single Post
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan886 View Post
Hey guys. I just welcomed a new member to my Mac family.... a Macintosh Classic. I got a heck of a deal on it.....$15!!!!!!!

Anyways, I noticed when I turned it on, I didn't hear a chime. Then when checking the volume... no sound. I put a pair of headphones on only to discover that with the sound all the way up, it is VERY faint, barely audible.

Anyone know what this could be? My dad said it could be leaking capacitors, so I opened up the computer. I DID notice a slight oil residue near some of them, but nothing serious. I know leakage on these computers is normal, but nothing serious. Could this be causing the problem?

If so, does anyone on here know of anyone that replaces caps?
I have the same issue/problem. A Macintosh Classic, no startup chime & no sound thru the internal speaker (but do get sound thru the headphone or external speaker jack). I also got mine for $15.

I worked on this problem for a while...but couldn't find an answer...so I figured I would put the computer on the shelf...and when I finally got an answer/solution...then I would fix it.

My best guess is there might be some sort of firmware settings that were changed (sound on/sound off). So the trick is how to access the firmware...and change the setting. It's also not a dead PRAM battery...because the one I have in mine is brand new.

Sorry I don't have a better answer (I'm in the same boat).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks