View Single Post
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Most motels that provide WiFi also have ethernet connectivity in each room. Did you check to see if the motel you're staying at provides that?

Otherwise, there's not much you can do to increase signal strength. On occasion, I have been able to use a USB extended antenna with my Toshiba notebook to get an increased signal. However, that same antenna does not work with OS X. There are extended USB antennas that work with OS X but they're rather costly.
Unfortunately there is no ethernet in here. I was thinking about an antenna, but I was hoping there was more of a receiver that would take in the wifi signal, and increase it's strength somehow, almost like a Router for a router...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
I've just been through this frustrating scenario several times. I found the only solutions were to:
1. move closer to the router, eg. in the hotel/motel lobby, even sitting out in the car which was parked close to the office,
or
2. use the wi-fi at low-load times, eg. in the middle of the night!

You may be able to persuade the motel management to issue a new log-on i-d, which could include a different router with a stronger signal.
I doubt that we would be able to persuade them to do anything like that, and we're already as close to the office as we can get. Also using it in the middle of the night is the only way that we're actually getting the 1 bar of signal, in the middle of the day we don't get any signal at all.
QUOTE Thanks