View Single Post
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
... the computer seems not to be able to recognise it. ...
What does this mean? It's not showing up on the Desktop or in Finder when connected?

Quote:
...I can do back ups via Time Machine...
If your Mac is using the drive to backup via Time Machine then it's recognizing it and clearly is working.

To make it show up on the Desktop or in the Finder sidebar - you need to open up Finder - Preferences and place a check mark in the appropriate box for external drives in both the General tab and the Sidebar tab.

Ref: a safety net - everything in your user account (incl'g your pictures) that you have not excluded from the TM backup are already backed up onto that drive. Placing another copy of them on that same drive does not provide any sort of safety net. The drive dies you're going to lose your TM backup and all the pictures no matter how many times or different places you have them stored on that one drive.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks