Member Since: Aug 21, 2011
08-21-2011, 03:22 AM
I'm about to eneter my second year of university and have been a mac user for pretty much all of my life, except a year ago when I decided to purchase an HP laptop. In the beginning I was impressed, but eventually windows is killing my soul and I need to change back. With my birthday coming up, now is the time!
Here is what I need to do, essentially:
- Besides doing everything internet/school related, my laptop acts as my television, movie theatre, music hub, EVERYTHING.
- It is currently not feasible for me to have a desktop, so I do need a laptop.
- All of my lectures are presented in powerpoint and elaborated on by lecturers, these files are sent to me well in advance. I would like to view the files and take notes on them while in the lecture. I need to be paperless!
- Though I am not a regular gamer, I would like to be able to play certain games occasionally (eg Starcraft 2) effortlessly with great quality
I have looked at two options.
- Purchase the 13 inch MacBook Air upgraded with all the wonderful things apple can do for it. This would be my soul computer for both my home and my lectures/going out. I am concerned about power and screen size.
- I purchase the 17 inch MacBook Pro (again, upgraded with all the goodies apple can do for it) and keep it at home. For lectures and going out, I would additionally purchase a 32gb Wifi iPad 2 and transfer all files over the the MacBook. I prefer this option, but my main concern is if the iPad can view powerpoints and take notes on them.
I think I have included everything, but if you have any questions please let me know. Any advice you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated as the school year starts very soon!
Many thanks in advance