View Single Post
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACyMouse View Post
Now that I have my iMac, there is no place to hook up the big blocky thing for picture. So I'm guessing this will be just a single cable for both picture and sound? What sort of cable is it? Will it be an HDMI cable?
Can be.

The new "small blocky thing" is called MiniDisplayPort (you also have Thunderbolt I believe, which will also do the job, but it's even newer and cheap accessories aren't yet available for it).

Anyway, you need to located a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI connector that *also carries audio* (should say so in the specifications). That should be all you need.

Quote:
Also (problem 3): I was going to partition my iMac's drive and just store my photography on the drive but I'm getting errors creating the partition. "Can't verify something...." I tried 3 times.
Get back to us on this when you can quote the exact error message. You may need to "zero out free space" before the partitioning can happen (live partitioning of the same drive you're booted from REQUIRES contiguous space).

Quote:
I think I would prefer to share the external... as that is my Time Machine drive AND storage (photos/documents/music/movies etc)
As cheap as drives are these days, I'd recommend you use the external just for TM and get another external (actually two if necessary) -- one for the media stuff, the other to back up the media stuff (as you describe it, you don't currently have a backup for your media).
QUOTE Thanks