Member Since: Jul 19, 2011
07-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Hi all -
First time poster. I have been browsing the forums for someone with my same issue and I can't quite seem to find a solution. Here is my situation:
I have an early 2009 Macbook with 120GB hard drive. I want to clone and replace with a 500GB hard drive. I have tried many different things which I will detail below, but end up with the same results, a hard disk that is bootable as an external drive and when I move it internal, my Macbook can't recognize it and I get a "question mark folder"
So with the details. I have tried both a WD Scorpio Blue 5400RPM 500GB SATA and a Hitachi Travelstar 7200RPM 500GB SATA drive.
I first tried with the WD disk with the following steps:
- Place disk in external enclosure and format with Mac Disk Util using GUID and Journaling options
- First I cloned with CCC and made a bootable clone
- Rebooted holding "Option" selected the new drive which was still external and booted without issue
- Shutdown, pulled the original drive, installed new WD disk put the old drive in enclosure and booted with Option
- This time, only the old drive which was external showed up
- I shutdown, pulled the old drive and booted only with the new drive, got the question mark folder
- put the old drive back and booted as external to see if I could select the new internal drive as the startup disk, but the drive isn't visible
- swapped the disks again and rebooted with option
- Selected the new drive (this time as external) as the startup disk and rebooted with success
- put the new drive in as internal disk and got the question mark folder
- put old drive back in and ran disk repair, found some permissioning issues, corrected them
- Zeroed the new drive, cloned again, booted external no problem
- Placed back in Macbook and got question mark folder
- Repeated the whole process again using SuperDuper, made sure to check disk permissions again and got the exact same result
- Bought a Hitachi drive to see if that made a difference, followed the process over again and got the same result, the question mark folder
So is there some step I am skipping that makes my drives only bootable as external drives? I have beat my head against the wall for HOURS to try and figure out what I am missing. Any help/insight that can be provided will be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!