Thread: Spam Emails
View Single Post
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
This is so full of wrong I hardly know where to begin.

First, yes it DOES hurt to have an antivirus on your Mac, since there ARE NO MAC VIRUSES.

AntiVirus programs steal resources that are being wasted uselessly, since there ARE NO MAC VIRUSES.

Second of all, YES IT IS TOO BULLETPROOF. As in you aren't going to get a Mac virus, because THERE ARE NO MAC VIRUSES. Sorry, but this point has been repeated (and repeatedly proven) about 10,000 times on this forum alone and yet there are still people like you that don't seem to get it. Hopefully this will help you get it.

There are some "malwares" out there that are looking to scam you, but they are just variants on all the other scareware/trickware scams out there, none of which are platform-specific. They aren't viruses, because words mean things, and they aren't viruses. No Mac "anti-virus" is going to protect you from stuff like that Nigerian prince who wants to give you money, and Apple has already patched the MacDefender trickware, so an anti-virus is IMHO a complete waste of time, money and resources.

Third, Sophos isn't free. Maybe they make a good-for-nothing free trial version, but the only free A/V program for Mac is ClamXAV, and it only exists because there are Windows viruses you could inadvertently pass on to Windows users.
An inflexible complacency can be a dangerous view to hold. You can't fault people for showing some concern for what can be. While I agree that the threat to OS X is relatively low, nothing is "too bulletproof." If it was bulletproof, Apple wouldn't have made security a focus for Lion.

So, I agree that OS X has no immediate threat but if the MacDefender experience has taught us anything, it has shown us that anything is possible. The day will come when a virus is successfully released for OS X and to think that such an event won't ever occur is problematic. All I'm suggesting is that there be a cognizance of the fact that people prepare differently for the inevitable. While choosing to use certain products may not be the best choice now, perhaps we should be congratulating people for being concerned about the security of their computer instead of solely pointing out the inappropriateness of their preparation.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks