View Single Post
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose! View Post
Well made a new account, and it won't connect through the ethernet cable, so turned on airport, put in the correct password and it just times out.

This is pretty embarrassingly bad, because theres no way I'm re-installing and they re-doing everything to setup it after a couple of months....this is like going back to Windows Vista. I haven't had to re-install either Windows 7 or 10.5(on my macbook) since i've had them, both nearly 3 years, yet Snow Leopard on the iMac breaks down after like 3 months ?
It's not normal for Snow Leopard to "break down". That flies in the face of the extensive experience of long-time Mac users here and everywhere. But **** does happen. Your hard drive may well be slowly failing and randomly corrupting critical files. We just don't know. You may have installed "something" or perhaps gotten MacDefender malware that is causing the trouble. We just don't know.

There's no need to "re-do" everything to setup your system again. You always have the option to migrate your user data from a backup when installing OS X and you are back to where you left off. Reinstalling/upgrading OS X is ridiculously easy.

At the moment, I suggest testing out the drive thoroughly. Try Smart Utility to run a comprehensive check of your drive. It's not obvious how to do this, but in the window, by the "Tests" frame at the bottom, click on "More Info" and you'll get a pop-up with testing options.

If your drive checks out, then you can try partitioning your drive and installing a virgin copy of OS X to that partition, create a new user, and then log into that and see if you have problems. If you do, then you have a hardware issue. If not, something is corrupt on your main partition.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.