View Single Post
SHIPARCH

SHIPARCH is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I'm starting with a new thread.

I'm an architecture student and will be starting grad. school on August. My old VAIO FZ340 died about a month ago and the obvious solution is getting a Mac. The quality and attention to detail of Apple products and my sister's MacBook Pro sold it. I will be ordering mid August so I guess the computer will be shipped with OS X Lion.

I intend on running the latest versions of AutoCad, Photoshop, and Revit simultaneously along with programs like Google Earth and the internet. Revit requires Windows so I will be running Parallels as well. I will also use Maya and Final Cut to a lesser extent. I want the computer to be as fast as possible when loading documents and transferring files, good rendering times would also be a plus. I don't plan on doing any gaming but might watch Netflix every now and then.

I would like the computer being future proof though I know that's almost impossible but want it to last 6+ years. I'm no computer geek and will not be doing surgical procedures on my Mac so whatever I get now stays put. I configured the computer on the apple website and with student discounts they go from $2500 - $3000.

Here is my best possible configuration:

MacBook Pro 15-Inch:
-Processor: 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
-Memory: 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
-Hard Drive: 256GB Solid State Drive
-Display: MacBook Pro 15-Inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display

Here are my questions. Will I need a 2.3GHz processor or will the 2.2GHz do fine? Cache 8MB or 6MB? Remember I need speed.

Is the Solid State Drive proven? I'm trying to justify the extra cost, I will be installing my programs on this internal drive along with a semester's worth of work. I know Lion will have a feature called TRIM but will the drive lose performance over time? I intend on doing a clean OS install every semester or so. Would getting the 7200rpm 500GB Hard Drive be better? I like the SSD having no moving parts and that it generates less heat, my old computer's video card was fried due to the heat, I also live in a very hot place.

I would appreciate any help or info you guys can give me.

Thanks,

CF
QUOTE Thanks