View Single Post
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlips69 View Post
I've just read the "essay" and it was interesting...
Thanks!

To expand on MightyGem's answers a bit:

Quote:
1) Does OS X have a good database of drivers which should automatically recognise everything on official Mac hardware or will I need to go hunting after the clean install?
No hunting required, even for most name-brand third-party peripherals. It Just Works.

Quote:
2) Is OS X 32/64-bit?
It's 64-bit, but can run in 32-bit mode for machines that require it (such as the 2006/2007 Mac minis). Apps can run in either 32 or 64 bit mode without restriction or conflict.

Lion (the upcoming OS X 10.7 upgrade coming next month) will be the first version of OS X that cannot run in 32-bit mode.

Quote:
3) How do I access the BIOS on my Macbook Pro? (do they have BIOS?)
As MG said, no BIOS. And no real need to ever access EFI, either. Like some other aspects of OS X, it's there for the very few that might have a real need, but 99% of us will never have cause.

Quote:
4) Will Windows 7 recognise all/most of the Macbook drivers, and if not, can I get them from the Apple website?
When you set up Boot Camp, the software will install the needed drivers to the Windows install to get to use things like the video card and the firewire port correctly. No worries.

In short, as I said in my essay -- Apple has thought about this, so you don't have to so much. Enjoy.
QUOTE Thanks