View Single Post
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlips69 View Post
I'm an experienced Windows I.T. technician, but have never, ever used a Mac of any variety until today!

I've been given a used Macbook Pro A1278 (unibody) with Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHz. 4GB RAM. 250GB Hard Drive etc...

My machine currently has 10.6.7 which is the latest public release, but I'm thinking that the quickest way to master the O/S is to do a clean install and make it a dual-boot with Windows 7 and work my way through any obsticles during the installation!
When taking on a used Mac, or any PC really, it's always best to wipe the drive and reinstall the OS from scratch. You just never know what the other guy may have left on there.

Quote:
1) Is it advisable to install Mac O/S or Windows 7 first and what is the easiest way to make it dual-boot at startup?
Install OS X first, then use the Boot Camp Assistant to prep a partition for Windows. The supported method to pick which OS to boot from is to hold down the OPTION key on powerup/reboot, and then you get a list of bootable volumes. Another way is to install rEFIt. You'll get a boot menu on startup and you pick what you want to boot into.

Quote:
2) I don't have any disks with the Mac O/S at present...how upgradeable are each version of OS X, i.e. can you purchase 10.4 and upgrade for free to 10.6.7 or only to 10.4.11 ?
You can't upgrade for free from 10.4 to 10.5 or 10.6. You'll need to buy the retail disk. If you get off eBay, do NOT get the gray OEM version. The gray OEM ones are machine-specific and only work with the exact model they shipped with.

Quote:
3) Are all versions of OS X exactly the same, i.e. will all genuine copies run on all mac hardware and do they have to be activated within so many days after install?
Well there is only one version of each release. There is no "Home Edition", "Ultimate Edition", "Really Really Everything In This Edition Fer Real". The "10" in "10.6" means this is OS X (10), or the current generation of the Mac OS. It is a whole different beast from OS 9 and earlier, being built on a Unix variant.

The ".6" in "10.6" is the current release of the OS. The ".7" in 10.6.7 is the current update. And there is no activation. Apple operates on the honor system.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks