View Single Post
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcpjg View Post
Just got a brand new imac and am trying to transfer my files from the old G3. Using Migration Assistant, I've tried Firewire, but target mac just sits there saying it's waiting for source mac to restart, even though the FireWire symbol is bouncing around the screen on source mac. Source mac uses ethernet from my cable modem, and I've only been able to get online wirelessly on target mac. So . . . it seems, after 5 hours of messing with it, my easiest route is going to be via disk (or flash drive?), but have no clue how to accomplish that.

I'm dying to take advantage of this marvelous piece of technology!!
Ah… you either have your terminology confused, or you have the wrong device booted in target disk mode. Start up the new iMac as normal. Connect the two computers with firewire. Then restart the G3 in target disk mode. Once done, the G3 should have the icon bouncing around.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks