View Single Post
pedropete

Location: Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retirement and a bad divorce
pedropete can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
A complete wipe and reinstall isn't necessary. Before you do that, try running some basic maintenance on the machine (if you haven't already done so). If you have already done this and the problem still isn't resolved, create a new user account and test with that.

Remember OS X isn't Windows. It doesn't have a registry that causes "rot" over time, and the core OS won't allow any significant modifications to it. Reinstalling is almost never necessary.
I was in a similar position with my first Mac - my 3 year-old iMac 24"which was clogged-up etc and running slower than normal etc and was thinking of doing a re-install coming from a Windows background, where this sort of thing is not uncommon
I followed guidance given by the excellent experienced regular boffins here, and downloaded Onyx which worked great on my oldest iMac to help clear up a lot of unnecessary stuff etc
Worked a Treat !
Like a 'spring-clean'!

Live each day as it comes - it may be your last !?
QUOTE Thanks