View Single Post
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.10; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahhax View Post
Hello
First post. I am a long time PC owner, but like most, I started looking towards Apple through iPod->iPhone->iPad->Apple TV

Now, I just bought a new iMac 27" for my wife. Wow, really like Mac OSX.
So I just went on the applestore, configured another 27", fully loaded...but then given the delay on SSD, I read a bit more (luckily)...and realized I would not be able to use it as external screen for my PC (as apparently you could on the 2010 iMacs)...as the thunderbolt port will only access video from thunderbolts enabled devices (such as the MacBook Pro)

My constraints:
1) No I will not give up the PC (hardcore gamer) and 2) I do not have enough space for 2 screens on my desk. 3) Mac will be used for anything but gaming, mostly lightroom, premiere and photoshop + the usual office stuff.

Therefore, I was thinking:
1) Mac Pro. But too expensive, big and noisy
2) then Mac Mini, but current model is too low on spec for my tastes.

Therefore:
1) Any chance for PCI EXpress 3D card to come out with a TB port?
2) Any chance for a thirdparty vendor to release a DVI to TB converter (in definitions above 1080p)?
3) Any other idea?

Any help appreciated!
Have you considered just trying a couple games on your wife's iMac to see how they work out? You might be surprised. These new ones, especially when fully pimped, are very competent machines. I'm sure you know this already, but you can use any mouse/keyboard of your liking with Macs, and of course dual-boot Windows. Although in all honesty, Apple's graphics drivers for Windows aren't as well optimized as what you can get from AMD.

You are right that the new iMacs won't work as a display, except when connected to another Thunderbolt-equipped computer. I would expect someone will eventually out out a PCI-E expansion card to add that capability to PCs, though that may not be any time real soon, and from what I just read, it may not see peak speeds (though for a display, should be adequate).

There likely will be an adapter at some point. Kanex is well known for their adapters, and strongly suggested here that they are working on this now.

The Mac mini is due for an update and should be coming real soon. I personally wouldn't consider the existing one for your needs, especially since you aren't pressed to get one now and an update is due.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks