05-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by harryb2448
Wonder if there is any Barefeats or Benchtest of the card in PCI-E 2.0 against PCI-E 1.0? How much of the boost would be lost in th earlier Mac Pros like mine?
I would have to imagine that's what you're seeing in this test:
Radeon 5770 and 5870 on various Mac Pro models
...the 4-core 2006 model would have the PCI 1.0, and most of the rest of the Mac Pros would be PCI 2.0.
The problem is...the 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 is a 4-core...and the others are 6 & 8-core. So the scores for the 5770 6 & 8 core Mac Pros are probably better because:
- they have more cores (6 & 8 cores vs. 4 cores in the 2006)
- faster logic board architectures
- faster PCI bus (1.0 vs. 2.0)
I think that the important things for the 2006 Mac Pro are:
1. That the 5770 is compatible with 2006 Mac Pro's
2. How does the Radeon 5770 compare to the GeForce 8800 (I seem to remember you have the 8800). Here's a comparison (5770 vs. 8800):
Radeon 5870 and 5770 on 2008 Mac Pro
These scores aren't from a 2006 Mac Pro...but the similar relationship should still exist. As you can see...the 5770 scores significantly higher than the 8800 in all tests with scores.
Here's a quote from the article:
"Both cards ( 5870 & 5770) make the GeForce 8800 GT and Radeon HD 2600 XT look sickly by comparison."