View Single Post
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedropete View Post
I cite the recently launched iMac 27" - the i5 model - which is currently priced at Amazon.com at $1,697.00.

The SAME machine on Amazon.co.uk is priced at GBP 1,649.00 !

Factor in the current $ to GBP Exchange rate of 1.64 - and I don't need to tell you the math !?
You're going to find price disparities anywhere given the constant fluctuations in currency values beyond the differences in taxes and import costs already mentioned. The low-end MBP is $1200 USD while it's $1249 CAD which, when currency values are accounted for, I end up paying the equivalent of $1291 USD. It used to be worse than that but that's not the point. The point here is that those price "gaps" you see are universal and are by no means limited to Europe. Every country outside of the origin (the US here) is going to be subject to those same three factors - currency values, tax differences and import/export costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedropete View Post
I DON'T UNDERSTAND !
I thought we lived in a 'Free Trade World' naively...?

So - when I hear you Americans, bleating on here about 'Macs are so expensive' etc
Spare a thought for your European brothers - please !?
Free trade exists between states and is not universal. Simple as that. As for having sympathy for the Europeans, it's hard to considering that not only are they still expensive in the US but buying European goods in NA is quite expensive. It's a two way street.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter