View Single Post
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

That kind of schedule would work then since only one machine at a time is accessing the drive for backup. I was concerned about what would happen if both machines tried to access the drive for backup at the same time.

Here's the scenario I thought of being a potential problem. Resqu2 boots his Mac at 2:00 and starts working. A few minutes later, (let's say five just for discussion) later Mrs. Resq2 boots her machine and starts working. On a normal schedule Time Machine should start a backup of Resque2's machine about an hour later. Mrs. Resque2's Mac would also be due to start a backup a few minutes later. What happens if the drive is in use by Resque2's backup at that moment?

Now the odds of that happening every day are pretty slim but eventually it would happen. How does Time Machine behave? Also, I wonder if partitioning the drive would affect how TM behaves?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks