04-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Firewire 400 is your fastest external interface on that model.
However, you shouldn't be encountering the errors you are. Even a 5400rpm should be able to handle the throughput. I suspect there are a few factors involved.
Personally, others may have further suggestions (there are many ways to go about this) This is what I'd do:
1. Get and install Onyx. Run all the cleanup scripts, permissions repairs etc.
2. Get yourself a new 2.5" sata 320/500mb hard disk. 7200rpm if you like, if not 5400
3. Get yourself a 2.5" USB sata enclosure.
4. Fit your new hard disk into your Mac
5. Fit your existing disk into the enclosure
6. Install a fresh version of OSX
7. get all the updates
8. Connect your old disk by USB
9. Use the OSX migration tool to copy all your info from your old disk to your new.
This way you'll have a fresh new install on a new, fast disk. And once your happy you have everything work etc you can format your old disk and you have an 80gb external for backups/file transfers etc.