View Single Post
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gefagahaga View Post

Whats the worst case scenario if I successfully get it soldered back on but it doesnt "connect", i.e. the leads are damaged. Will the board suffer electrical damage or is it relatively safe to try?
Unless you have real experience in this - I wouldn't try to hand solder this at all. Not only is it a precise operation - but depending on the circuit - it's very easy to do damage that you can't even see due to excessive heat transfer. In otherwords - while soldering leads/legs/pins may seem easy - today's PCBs have multiple layers and very thin traces that can easily be damaged by heat transfer from a soldering iron. Additionally, even if the traces survive the heat transfer - there are sensitive components whose silicon junctions may be damaged. At any rate, I'd be very reticent to try this repair myself without the right equipment/skillset as well as a good idea of what the circuit was and what circuits are nearby.
QUOTE Thanks