View Single Post
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnc View Post
1. I have some PDF files I want to transfer to the ipad--how do I go about doing that?

2. will the PDFs automatically be able to open on the ipad? I did download a PDF viewer--is the viewer smart enough to recognize all the PDFs in the ipad and then incorporate it in the files, or do I have to manually do that?
The answer for 1 is "drop the PDFs into iTunes." The answer for 2 is "iTunes will automatically put the PDFs into iBooks for you. Easy-peasy.

Quote:
3. I am having trouble transferring stuff at will from my computer to the ipad...and the only ipad controller i have on my computer is a little icon when I open itunes--am I missing something?
I'm not sure what you mean, but the iPad should show up under iTunes in the left-hand column under "Devices." Highlight it there and everything else should become obvious.

Quote:
4. is it easy to delete or transfer stuff from the ipad back to my computer? i have a kid so I have lots of books and games and other stuff I would like to shuffle back and forth between my computer and the ipad--is this possible?
No. The iPad syncs with iTunes. Everything it gets, it gets from iTunes (unless you buy something from the store, which then syncs with your computer). You can't use iPad apps on the computer, even though the files are stored there. E-Books are a different story -- basically the answer there is "it depends."

Quote:
ditto for music files...i want to transfer some but not all of them, and I would like to swap which ones I have on the ipad.
You control all of this through iTunes. I suggest making a "smart playlist" of songs to be swapped out each time you sync.

Quote:
5. is there a screen cover I can get so the ipad can work better outdoors? If so, any suggestions?
Yes, it's called "turn away from the sun."

There are matte screen covers that reduce the reflection, but can't eliminate it as the sun is a very powerful light source. I am a friend of shade so I never have this problem.

Quote:
6. the ibooks app seems much better than kindle in terms of how the pages can be turned etc... is the ibooks app the best for books you think?
You can have both, so why not have both?

Quote:
7. how does garageband work on the ipad 1?
I'm told that it can, but it's not recommended (kinda slow).
QUOTE Thanks