View Single Post
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by brairden View Post
When at all possible you should avoid cloning if you are looking for a performance boost. Cloning will duplicate fragmented data and slow read times. Migrating is a much better option. It copies the data and writes to the new drive in a linear fashion.
I can verify the above. I've cloned and I've migrated via Time Machine. The TM method produces a substantially faster boot up time. However, I've since invested in iDefrag and have been playing around with it to see what, if any boost in boot up time could be yielded from cloning.

What I noticed is if you defrag 100% (free space and files) then the cloning method will yield positive results. I don't recommend going through all that trouble though. I just like to play around....
QUOTE Thanks