View Single Post
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterCalm View Post
she can get our ISP. what kind of info does having someone's IP address, or ISP they called it, give them anyway?
Your IP address and your ISP are two different things. Your IP identifies you (relatively anonymously) on the Internet. Your ISP, or Internet Service Provider, is the company you contract with for Internet service. They provide you with the IP and typically keep record of what IP is assigned to a specific customer. That information isn't publicly available, but it is possible for an entity to subpoena an ISP to obtain that information if they have legal reason to do so. But neither bit of info really gives a would-be hacker much to go on.

Quote:
I've read they can somehow get your home addy from the IP addy! That's spooky to me!

If you've done something illegal, it is certainly possible to use the legal system to get that kind of information - but no, it's not something just any old person can get.

Is that true Moderator?
We don't know these people at all, and I don't want strangers who violate others rights on a website that supposedly don't allowing flaming to get our address either.
Boy, that other guy was put thru the wars by these trolls (people who insult others on the web) on that site. they even knew his home address, his name, etc, but I had heard they once met up IRL.
I don't know, but when we tried to post under another name, and just a topic, that was pleasant and wasn't directed toward anyone at all, somehow they found out it was us!

We have reported them many times to the moderator, but I still see all the hateful posts we have complained about on there! I do think they are friends with the moderator.
It's been so so stressful to deal with these people, period, but I sure don't want someone like that, getting our home address or anything like that.
Is there a good security program for Mac users we can get? I'm starting to feel in fear of getting on the web at all, after this experience with that website, to be honest.
I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a bad experience with another forum. Forums are privately owned, and each one has its own rules and tone. If you don't like one in particular, your best recourse is to stop using it. You have no legal rights to use the forum or otherwise be protected from the shenanigans of its members or staff.

My recommendation to you would be to just stop visiting that community. It doesn't sound like they do a good job of enforcing their own codes of conduct. Anti-Virus/Spware and Firewall software won't prevent your public IP from being disclosed.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks