Member Since: May 20, 2008
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5
01-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by MacMan886
I've tried looking for a G5 locally, but even 1.6 ones run $350-$400.
Don't bother trying to buy a G4 Powermac to upgrade. It just isn't worth it. When you buy a computer this old...you want to buy it with as many "goodies" as possible (as much ram, as much hard drive or multiple HD's, as fast a processor as possible, even PCI expansion cards).
One thing you don't want to do (other than bumping up the HD or ram)...is buy an old PM G4 and think about upgrading it. After you factor in the:
- purchase cost of the computer
- shipping cost (if shipped)
- then the cost of upgrades
...with the total cost of all this...you simply could have purchased a better computer.
As far as G5's. I see dual processor 1.8ghz Powermac G5's on e-Bay fairly often for around $250 (sometimes less). If the shipping is not too bad...you can certainly do better than $350-$400.
- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery