Thread: Airport Express
View Single Post
RGertner

RGertner is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCT
I don't think you can use WDS with anything other than Apple at the moment (Airport Expresses and Base Stations only) I could be wrong.
You are Correct, WDS with AE only works with other AE's or Base Stations.

Quote:
You don't have to get a base station to replace the linksys, you can get an Express instead. Because your iMac and Thinkpad are wireless, you don't need the ethernet port to be LAN, so you'll use it on your cable modem as WAN base station, then setup WDS for the other Airport Express as a remote base station. On the remote AE, use the ethernet port for your XBox.
Correct, but that would mean that I am getting rid of a perfectly good Linksys and replacing is with 2 AE's or an AE and Base Station.

Quote:
My setup consists of a Base Station on the DSL modem, LAN port goes to a switch, trunked to my shop for servers and clients, and an Airport Express sitting in my entertainment center with TOSLINK fiber to my surround sound system for AirTunes, the ethernet port goes to a Netgear switch in the entertainment center for Xbox, PS2, future upgrades, etc... Works nicely.
Sounds like a nice setup.

I was only considering the AE because they have some on sale for $79 at my local Apple stores that were returns. If i could have added itunes and Bridged the Ethernet, it would allow more flexibility with a small investment. But with requiring either double the AE's or replacing a perfectly good Linksys, I don't see the point just to end up with AirTunes into my Stereo that is connected to my iPod anyway. Thanks for the idea's Though.

Thanks,
Ray
QUOTE Thanks