View Single Post
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Sly: thanks for illuminating your situation. I made the mistake of assuming you were working in the field professionally. My bad.

As for FCP/FCS, it's getting another update soon (Steve himself "leaked" this in response to inquiries: "A great release of Final Cut is coming early next year" meaning 2011).

Regarding the external hard drive: someone has misled you about Firewire transfer rates. FW800 is a non-issue regarding transfer rates.

And yes, becoming a serious video editor is (from your perspective) an expensive undertaking. One thing that will help is your student status -- it dramatically lowers the cost of the software, and slightly lowers the cost of the hardware.

If you need to learn Final Cut Studio, then you're going to have to pony up for a Mac at some point. No way around that, but the good news is that even though Macs are more expensive, they also tend to last a long time and are so widely used in the A/V industry that they will be a worthwhile investment. You might want to look at getting one of the higher-end Core 2 Duo Macs if the iX class (new) machines are out of your reach -- I think once the next round of refreshes happen you'll see C2D Macs drop significantly in value.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks