View Single Post
koppenhoefer

koppenhoefer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac11,3 Intel Core i5 2.8GHz 16GB

Ok... bad news first.... but the story has a HAPPY ENDING...

RESULTS OF LAST EFFORT:
After the migation completed, I rebooted and was welcomed with a grey screen and ugly message saying the OS was unusable and to please reinstall from the DVD (sorry... I didn't retain the exact message).

DIFFERENT APPROACH : USE CCC
So tried a different approach using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) from the MacMini (mounting the new iMac in target mode onto the macMini) - I first used DiskUtility to reformat the iMac drive... and then just cloned directly onto it. It took about 5 hours for CCC to finish. On reboot, SAME ERROR MESSAGE (arghhh).

WHAT ABOUT MA DURING NEW INSTALLATION
I reinstalled from the DVD (reformatting the disk as well). As part of the reinstallation process, migrating from a firewire-connected computer is offered (seemingly identical process to Migration Assistant). Several hours later, this completed and I was able to reboot with success... BUT ONLY TEMPORARILY: the login process crashed at one point as the startup items started appearing. Subsequent rebooting failed (this time failing long before any login windows appeared).

THE SOLUTION THAT WORKED
Solution: Reboot in safe-mode (while rebooting wait for the chime sound and then hold down the shift key). Investigating /var/log/system.log shows many problems such as:

dyld_shared_cache_x86_64") => -1 (errno: 2)
mDNS_SetSecretForDomain: ERROR: Could not convert shared secret from base64: domain . key shawn.
AppleUSBCDC.kext is not valid; omitting from mkext.
PACESupportFamily.kext is not valid; omitting from mkext.
Can't load AppleSMBusPCI.kext - validation problems.
etc.
etc.

So I removed everything from /Library/StartupItems (DynDNSUpdate Privoxy, PACESupport, VirtualBox ParallelsDesktopTransporter tun tap CoreDuoTemp BRESINKx86Monitoring Wireshark PureFTPD) and rebooted. SUCCESS! IT WORKED!

Everything SEEMS to be fine now... except for a persevering message from mysqldabout mysqld_safe not being present, LittleSnitch rules being missing, and OSXvnc-server failing.
So next step will be to reinstall the pieces that I've removed and keep my fingers crossed that the machine continues to successfully boot.

oof
QUOTE Thanks