View Single Post
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
Thanks to Pigoo3 and Razoredge. The 'back up' is what I'm now not sure of. I have a 500 gb external hard drive; so if I start up the external drive an I con will appear on the screen and then when I click the icon a window opens to show me what it contains . . . . if I click on, say, the iPhotos icon and drag/drop it into the ext drive window, will that be the back up and if so, do I then reverse the procedure once Leopard is loaded into my iMac. Similarly, do I do that with Pages, Word Excel etc. Also, how about my password for Apple updates and what must I be sure to back up and how to do it ? Sorry to be dim on this but I gotta learn and I'm convinced that you guys know best from experience. I'm quite nervous about doing this so all help is really very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Brian
As far as the backup...you could give this program "SuperDuper" a try:

SuperDuper!

SuperDuper version 2.6.2 is compatible with Mac OS 10.4 and later...and since you're currently using 10.4 you should have no problem.

An alternative method for backing up is...just copy all of your important documents (spreadsheets, word processing, photos, music, video, etc.) to another hard drive. And if for some reason your applications have a problem after the OS upgrade (assuming the problem is not incompatibility with the new OS version 10.6)...then you can reinstall them from the applications original install disks.

Realize that backing information up is a safeguard against loss. Generally speaking...if you're upgrading the OS (10.4 to 10.6) in this case...all you do is boot from the OS install disk...and follow the onscreen instructions.

The install process will leave all of your files & applications untouched...and will only upgrade the OS. Of course you will still have to deal with any applications that may not be compatible with OS 10.6. Upgrading from OS 10.4 to 10.6 is a BIG step...and some or many applications you currently have on your hard drive may not be compatible with OS 10.6. To make those applications compatible...you will either need to update them (with an updater file)...or purchase newer versions of the applications.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks