View Single Post
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorlaoje View Post
thank you s2odin for your detail reply!

i see that MBP 15" is the best option but also the most expensive.. From what you wrote, and from what i read from some articles, I should definitely avoid MB Air because it cannot be upgraded what I will do in future with MBP.

So, if I choose MBP 13, thing that bothers me is that it has Core Duo which is on market from '06... I surly know that i5 is newer but here in Croatia is very big price difference between start models (MBP 13", 2,4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250 HD, GeForce 320M - about $1737 vs. MBP15" 2,4GHZ i5, 4GB RAM, 320 HD, Intel HD Graphics, GeForce GT 330M, 256 MB about $2671). So, as I sad, i was using Vaio with Core Duo, and was endurable, but of-course, as technology grows so do programs demand more powerful processors. Also, one thing that borders me is that next year is coming OS Lion as replacement for OS Leopard, and am afraid that Core Duo could be slow for that new OS... Maybe I'm wrong because I don't know much about it.

So is the price difference that big as are Core 2 Duo and i5, considering that I can upgrade both of them to 8 GB RAM for some time...?

Also, thanks for recommendations in the bottom of the top!!!
Well with the 15" you are getting the newer processor, better video card, and higher res screen. The RAM and HD upgrades are really easy, and relatively inexpensive.

As far as if it's worth it, that's up to you. If you feel comfortable putting out $2671 for the MBP 15, then by all means, go ahead. You won't be disappointed. The other option is you can look on Apples website for a refurb.

Here's a few you should seriously consider:
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)
and
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 - Apple Store (U.S.)

And if you were really thinking about shelling out $2600 for the MBP 15, here is a refurb that would smoke it:
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 - Apple Store (U.S.)

Now I'm not sure about Apple shipping to Croatia as far as taxes are concerned and whatnot, but check out those 3 above.

Yes, the C2D processor architecture is old, but many users will still find it usable. If you are worried about it not being able to handle all your tasks then definitely get the i5, but just be ready to spend more money.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks