View Single Post
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
On the Mac, it's completely unnecessary, so I am not even going to rise to that. On the PC, Norton is widely agreed to be buggy, a resource hog and in some cases as difficult to remove from your system as a virus itself - not to mention needlessly expensive. MacAfee is just a joke.

Norton corporate/enterprise is actually quite a lot better - I have it on my office PC (I have no choice) and it's fairly unobtrusive. But the home version is a pain, especially if you're a gamer or a tinkerer. There are far better solutions.

As for your snide comment, it got a negative rep from me (I don't do anonymous). I think my comment WAS helpful, and I generally try to add value to this forum in any way I can. 30+ years of experience with computers helps in that regard - the reason I didn't go into a bunch of better PC solutions, is because this is not a PC forum - however I'd recommend these ahead of either Norton or MacAfee:

- Windows Defender (it's free, and no one has more interest in keeping your system safe than Microsoft)
- Kaspersky (low price, small footprint. This is the one you want on your VM or low powered machine)
- Bit Defender (never bothers you, easy to install or remove, attacks malware, very affordable)
- AVG (free version, actually pretty good although slightly clunky interface)

Cheers.
+1

I would never advise anyone (well, not anyone I like) use Norton or McAfee. I haven't met anyone that works in the tech support side of the industry in at least 10 years that would recommend Norton to anyone except their worst enemies. (Have the corporate McAfee here - no choice - I finally convinced the owner to get a good hardware firewall solution a couple of weeks ago and disable the totally unreliable McAfee one. If one machine told McAfee not to allow java or Adobe reader or any number of other things to access the internet, it would take down our entire local network - and what a pitr trying to troubleshoot the thing.)

and to add a few more very good pieces of windows software:

- MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials: free and actually a quite good, low overhead a/v)
- avast (another free a/v, and preferred over AVG by a great many of us that use to use AVG exclusively)
- nod32 (not free, but for those that feel compelled to pay money for protection, this is another excellent piece of a/v software)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.