Thread: storage problem
View Single Post
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I doubt anyone here is expert enough to know what all files the system puts there, nor how to stop them all. Among other things it uses Virtual Memory (the swap files sly has mentioned) and will create a temp file for sleep mode.

Bottom line, you're not going to get a responsive system, nor one that is not running out of space without freeing up a minimum of 10-20% of the space on the drive. Even the few that don't espouse this particular amount of free space claim that OS X needs a minimum of 10-12GB free space to operate properly.

Over and above that, when you're down to a minimal amount of free space, it may not be only a matter of no free space, but also a matter of not enough free contiguous space on the drive for some write operations the OS may need to perform.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks