View Single Post
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark20ry View Post
Ok I have had my Mac G5 for 3 years now its a power pc Dual 2.5, I am starting to use my Mac for more and more things. Now I am finding is that developers are moving away from Motorola Based to Intel Only... This is very frustrating to me.
This is certainly nothing new...and not new news. Macintoshes with Intel processors came out in 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark20ry View Post
What I would like to know is can I change out my MB from the Motorola to an Intel board and processer?

Is it possible ?
is it Legal (licensing) ?
Is it worth while? $$$$$$

I don't have the money to buy a new Mac right now but I might be able to buy pieces and parts to build my own.. I have done this with all my winblows machines in the past.

TIA for any input..
Can I assume that when you say you want to swap an "Intel board & processor"...that you mean a Macintosh motherboard with an Intel processor? It may be possible to put a Mac Pro motherboard into a G5 Powermac housing...since they use the same case...the problem is all of the parts you need are going to cost you a lot of money buying them separately!

Doing this sort of project is not like in the "Windows" computer world...where upgrade parts can be found cheap...and building your own computer is common (if you have the desire & expertise to do it).

You would be MUCH better off just buying a used (but older to save money) Intel Mac-Mini, Intel iMac, or Macintosh Intel laptop. Any of these Intel Core 2 Duo based Apple computers will be able to do what you need your computer to do (be able to run software for Apple Intel only computers).

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks