View Single Post
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsherman View Post
I'm sure you can understand my hesitation. What I'm not quite understanding, or what I'm having a hard time adjusting to, is the file hierarchy within iPhoto. When I look in my hard drive and locate my iPhoto library, I cannot find the actual photo files. Do you know where they're stored?
Yes, but let me stop you there.

This is a good example of Windows Thinking. It is not the same as Mac Thinking, particularly in this specific case (ie iPhoto). You need to let go of that Windows Thinking.

All operations regarding photos in iPhoto -- repeat, ALL -- are to be done within iPhoto. And can easily be done within iPhoto.

Quote:
If I wanted to email a photo file, I am used to finding it in my Windows Explorer and selecting to attach it to an email.
If you want to email a photo (or photos) from iPhoto, you simply select the photos, then press the "Email" button. That's it.

MUCH simpler than the Windows method.

If for some reason you don't use Mail, simply adjust the preference in iPhoto for "email client" to the email client you DO use. If you use webmail (in gawd's name why?), then the procedure is slightly different: drag the selected photo(s) to the desktop (this creates a copy) and upload THOSE files. Once uploaded, move the desktop copies to the trash.

The "do it from within iPhoto" rule applies to anything you might want to do to a photo. It actually makes life a LOT simpler once you get used to it.

This applies double to the notion of "organizing" your photos. iPhoto provides you with lots of ways to sort/organize your photos: by date, by when you imported them, by name, by the people who are in them, and even by where you took them. There really isn't much need to organize them by hand, yourself.

Some people like to anyway, of course, and for those people iPhoto is probably not the program for them. There are others that don't do it that way (see my sig for an example), but for many iPhoto, once understood, does a great job.

I know it sounds kind of like a cross between a Zen master and "The Force," but the key to iPhoto (and iTunes, and iMovie ...) is to "let go" and manage things from WITHIN the program itself.
QUOTE Thanks