View Single Post
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst View Post
Good points all. What's even better is that I have the choice of hardware when it comes to OS 10.6. I love paying those premiums. Hey, if it's shiny and made by Apple, it's got to be better right? All sarcasm aside, I would gladly go out and buy OS X yesterday if I, me, the consumer had the choice of hardware. I understand that Apple hardware is absolutely gorgeous but so is my rig for about $1000 less running Win 7 Ultimate. I love OS X. It's a masterpiece. I hate the lack of choice. And yes I know why Apple needs to do this. Complete control over one's platform.
Choice of hardware is an issue - especially when it comes to desktop computing. If I were to go get a desktop I wouldn't pay the premium for the Mac Pro. I could build a much better rig myself. The iMac is great hardware if you never want to modify anything.

Where I think the comparison of hardware goes south is with laptops - which is the majority of new sales. Yes you can go get a netbook or a really cheap laptop - but price out a similar spec laptop - that is reliable. You cannot compare consumer line laptops to the Macbook Pros. I've had a consumer dell, a consumer toshiba, consumer sony, alienware too. I've had the business line of dell, ibm(lenovo) and toshibas. I have yet to have a consumer laptop last more than 5 years - most lasted 3. I have 600MHz toshiba laptops from the business line still running simple servers using linux. I've heard the argument - I can buy 2 laptops by the time I buy one mac - so really then I could have had 6 years out of my consumer line laptop. That is a personal call but when you setup as many computers as I have - I don't like having to bring up computers so the less I do it the better for me.

Anyway - I agree with the point, Macbooks come in your favorite material as long as it is aluminum.
QUOTE Thanks