Member Since: May 20, 2008
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5
04-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lohengrin
I recently purchased Quad Core Mac Pro 1,1 for proposed video and music editing and recording.
Specs: two 2.66 Ghz C2D Intel Xeon 64-bit processors, 8.0GB of RAM, 2.0TB of Hard Disk Space (2 x RAID Sets) Running 10.6
Software installed: Final Cut Pro (latest) Logic Studio (latest) Adobe CS3 et al
I paid the same as I could have done for a new iMac but opted for the inclusion of software I'd otherwise have to purchase separately and there's more memory and storage on the Pro; however there are no manuals for the sophisticated software and, having not used a Mac before, reckon the learning curve would be enormous. The alternative is to return the Mac buy a PC with i7 and purchase Reaper for recording or go for the iMac and a new version (with manual) of Logic/other. Does the software on the Pro outweigh the benefits of a new processor (i5 for the iMac) or not? I'm confused! I'd be most grateful for any advice.
The Mac Pro you purchased is the original "quad-core" Mac Pro introduced in 2006. So this is certainly a used computer...and the software that was installed on it (Final Cut Pro, Logic Studio, Adobe CS3 et al)...unless you received the original install disks & serial numbers for the software...are illegal copies!!!
Since this software appears to be illegal copies...of course you did not get any manuals! Most pirated software usually does not include manuals.
So to your question..."Does the software on the Pro outweigh the benefits of a new processor (i5 for the iMac) or not?"
The software installs you mentioned most likely sound like they are illegal copies...so there really is no discussion about it's "benefits".
Your choices in order to be completely legal are:
- Keep the Mac Pro and erase all of the illegal software that came with it.
- Return the Mac Pro to the person you bought it from (which would really surprise me if you can).
- Buy an iMac and your own copy of the software you need.
- Buy a PC (Windows computer) with an i7 cpu, and purchase the software you need.
Hope this helps,
- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery